As I approach the last phase of my life, it could be depressing to reflect on how little progress I have made on my life goals:
- equality for gay people. (This one actually went much better than I expected.)
- preserving the environment.
- ending war, economic exploitation and political bullying.
- ridding the planet of religious superstition.
- ending hunger.
- reducing the population to a sustainable level by non-violent means.
- hastening the evolution of computer languages.
At best, I might have completed 1/1,000,000 of the necessary work to make a deep dent in these problems. However, that means if even 1 in 7,000 people worked as hard as I did and the rest of humanity sat on their butts and did absolutely nothing, the job would be complete by now. The catch is, of course, that the rest were not content to sit on the sidelines. They strived to make the problems worse, usually as a side effect of personal greed or vanity. I discovered, for example, there are more powerful people in favour of world hunger than there are in favour of harassing homosexuals.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)