Normally I argue for immigration. I consider those who oppose me racist bigots. However, for balance, here are some quasi-legitimate reasons to resist immigration:
- Corporations encourage immigration, particularly from third world countries. They want employees willing to work for third world wages and live well-below the poverty line. They will help break unions. They take jobs from natives. Not as many jobs are lost as people think. Most are lost to automation, not immigrants.
- Extra people mean greater strain on the environment. There is already a shortage of housing, land for housing, farmland and water. Immigration makes it worse.
- People from other parts of the world tend to have large families, e.g. ten children. It takes just a few generations of this tradition until they outnumber the original inhabitants and become the dominant culture.
- Immigration does not help the source countries. We are taking only the tiniest slice of people who want to immigrate.
- Many of the immigrants are Muslim. Their religion demands they beat their wives and children and treat their wives as slaves. They are required to harass gay people and kill those who leave the faith. They demand non-believers feign exaggerated respect for their religion, or they kill them. Their fundamentalist religion refuses to budge on any of this. Muslims tend to have large families. By inviting Muslim immigrants, we are inviting this toxic culture to infect all of Canada.
When we invite an immigrant to settle in Canada, this is a major gift. I think we have every right to ask they not disrupt Canadian culture.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)