Get Out Of Jail Free Card
Religious people often demand special privilege, simply because they belong to a certain religion. They demand a get-out-of-jail-free card. For example:
- Sikhs demand an exemption to bicycle helmet laws.
- Muslims demand the right to cover their heads in court.
- Christians demand the right to home school their children and fill their heads with medieval superstition instead of the skills needed for life in the current century.
- Muslims demand the right to stay home from work and still be paid on their holy days.
- Christians demand the right to force non-Christians to join in Christian prayers.
- Christians demand the right to beat their children with sticks.
- JWs (Jehovah’s Witnesses) demand an exemption to the draft.
- Sikhs demand the right to carry daggers on airplanes.
- Jews demand the right to ignore humane slaughter laws.
- Christians demand the right to spread contagion by refusing to vaccinate their children.
- Christians demand the right to bully, persecute and even kill homosexuals.
- Christians demand the right to kill their children by withholding medical treatment.
- Muslims demand the right to kill apostates (people who leave the faith).
- Muslims demand the right to kill anyone who fails to show sufficient respect for their religion’s customs.
Of course, not all members of each religion make such demands.
My thinking is, if there is to be an exemption, everyone should get it. It should not just be the privilege of a single religion. For example, I think everyone should be permitted to cover their heads in court, not just Muslims. We should not even consider an exemption when it would result in the harm of third parties. Religious exemptions should never bestow the right to harm others, only one’s self.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)