The Conservatives were such twits when it comes to carbon taxes. Let’s hope the Liberals do better. Unfortunately, they have not promised much.
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- The Conservatives complained that carbon taxes raise revenue, a heavy burden on the taxpayer. But the government can choose to reduce other taxes to make the taxes revenue neutral if they so please.
- The Conservatives complained that carbon taxes raise prices of dirty fuels. But that is what they are supposed to do. Carbon taxes are intended to encourage people to switch to cleaner fuels.
- The Conservatives complained carbon taxes reduce consumption of dirty fuels. The companies that make dirty fuels won’t like it. That is what the taxes are for. We are doing this to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to slow global warming. We have to do that even if it makes some people uncomfortable. You might say that survival is not mandatory, but that is only a Conservative view. Reducing greenhouse gases is not an optional frill. According to environment Canada, global warming’s destructive effect is second only to global thermonuclear war. Global warming sounds benign, but it is anything but. Science traditionally understates: black hole, big bang, the KT event, Little Boy, Tungusta Event…
- Conservatives pretended their hearts bled for those who could afford to switch away from dirty fuels or install better insulation. Well, use some of the revenue from the carbon tax to help out such people.
- Conservatives claimed a carbon tax would paralyse the Canadian economy. However, Sweden implemented a carbon tax back in the 1990s. Their emissions fell and their GDP (Gross Domestic Product) rose contrary to the predictions of the big oil lobby. There are other benefits to clean energy besides reducing CO₂ emissions.