I would bring back waterboarding, and I would bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding… Torture does work.~ Donald J. Trump (1946-06-14 age:71) 2017-01-27
Trump said that Defense Secretary James Mattis disagreed with him, and Trump would defer to Mattis.
Whether torture works should not be a matter of opinion. Surely the military has kept records on torture. They routinely tortured all POWs (Prisoner Of Wars) in Iraq so they have plenty of data. They would know what percentage of those tortured:
- had no information of interest.
- gave false information. They just told their torturers what they wanted to hear.
- they implicated innocent people.
- when others heard of what America had done, they became radicalised.
- indulging in sadism corrupted soldiers. They later harmed fellow soldiers and their families.
- divulged details of a terrorist attack which was subsequently averted.
The US daily violates the Geneva Conventions which George W. Bush called quaint.