Why God Favours the Defence
Countries that make a habit of invading others seem to ignore the factors that favour the defender:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- The invader knows what he is doing is immoral and can’t seriously feel self righteous about his battle.
- The defender has two choices, prevail or die.
- The invader has to import all his supplies. The defender has everything at hand.
- The defender has motivation to keep fighting indefinitely. The invader loses motivation once the cost of the invasion is more that the value of the plunder.
- The invader’s casualties are soldiers. The defender losses are primarily civilians and children. This gives the defender much greater motivation for revenge.
- The defender knows the territory and many places to hide.
- The defender is used to the water, the insects and the diseases.
- Invaders tend to get involved in more than one invasion at once, so they have to split their efforts. Defenders rarely do.
- Sometimes countries will help the invader in return for a share of the spoils, e.g. Viet Nam and Iraq wars. Sometimes countries will help the country being invaded because they want to deter the invader from attacking them, e.g. WWI (World War I) and WWII (World War II)