American right wingers write, jeering Nothing you do is going to slow down the US military doing whatever it damn well pleases. Similarly, nothing you do will have any effect on global warming. Give up you pompous idiot! I have six responses:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- You for one must think I have some power in the world, or you would not have taken the effort to write me to discourage me from taking action.
- What I do might not have significant effect, but what you want me to do will most certainly have zero effect (or even negative effect by discouraging others).
- Humans are herd animals. They tend to do whatever their peers are doing. If I take action, it encourages others to do so as well in a chain reaction. If I do nothing, it encourages others to similarly despair.
- It simply feels better to take what action I can.
- Back in 1969 I started a gay lib project that I figured had a 1 in a billion chance of accomplishing anything. Within four years we had the first gay rights legislation. Nobody was more surprised than me.
- Gandhi, the world’s foremost expert on social change, said Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.