Imagine you were a clergyman of a religion founded many centuries or even millennia ago. The founders were a rather conceited lot, and presumed their work was perfect and would never need any updating. They built-in to the religion that it could never change. You and your fellow clergymen notice the religion could use some updating:
- Make it compatible with the law.
- Make it easy to understand.
- Add guidance on situations that did not exist at the religion’s founding.
- Get rid of bigotry.
- Up the standards of what is expected a notch.
- Prune out references to situations that never happen any more.
- Prune out irrelevancies.
What would you do?
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- Try to destroy the religion.
- Start a new sect.
- Try to get consensus on updating the holy book.
- Close your eyes and pretend not to notice the problem.