Basking in Former Glory
When I was growing up in the 1950s my great aunts on my mother’s side and my elementary school principal Mr. Allan talked of the empah as if Britain still dominated the world. Brits liked to bask in former glory. Americans do the same today, refusing to notice how their country has become shabby, for example:
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:69) source
- There used to be only a couple of countries with lower (better) IMR (Infant Mortality Rate) than the USA, the usual international measure for health care quality. Now the USA ranks #51 in the world. Even Cuba, a third world country, is #42, 9 rungs better than the USA.
- Two tiny unarmed countries, Afghanistan and Iraq, fought the USA to a stalemate and the USA had to withdraw. That does not bode well if an armed foe ever attacks the USA. In the invasions, the USA was so desperate, it resorted to torture and banned weapons. What sort of message of weakness and panic did that send to America’s enemies?
- The USA is in deep hock to China, its main global rival. The USA used to be the richest country.
- The USA education system now ranks #17. It has abandoned science and embraced the medieval fundamentalist superstition of creationism.
- All the America economy does nowadays is consume and speculate. It does not manufacture. It even outsources computer programming. That is not a sustainable way to earn a living.
- There is no river or lake left in the USA where it is safe to eat the fish. American have meekly handed over their country to corporations to be despoiled.