We humans have made some drastic large-scale modifications to our planet including:
- Global warming.
- Eutrification (fertiliser runoff).
- Water pollution.
- Harvesting food species to extinction.
- Destruction of habitat.
- Transporting invasive species all over the planet.
The planet’s ecosystems have reacted with such things as:
- Dead zones in lakes and coastal waters.
- Replacement of fish by 226.80 kg (500 lbs) jellyfish.
- Waterways so clogged with water hyacinth that boats can no longer pass.
- Kudzu vines smother every tree, phone pole and house in weeks, like some B movie.
- All the world’s frogs die off. Many species go extinct in the biggest epidemic to hit any creature in recorded history.
- Dying off of most native species, to be replaced by invasive ones better adapter to the deteriorated conditions.
We watch in horror. But perhaps we are watching earth’s well-rehearsed reaction to massive disruption. It might well take a million years to recover, but the earth is in no hurry.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70) Super Species: The Creatures That Will Dominate the Planet