Stages of Recovery
I doubt many people would leap from being a creationist to an atheist in one step. They might go through the following stages, in any order.
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- Reading the bible from cover to cover.
- Reading about other beliefs, perhaps travel to get deeper exposure to them.
- Discovering the bible is not inerrant. Even if you ignore the errors, it is massively self-contradictory.
- Discovering the depiction of Yahweh in the bible is evil, cruel, sadistic, irrational and batshit crazy.
- Learning about cosmology, evolution and other sciences to understand why creationism could not possibly be true.
- Realising the bible is a quite poor moral guide.
- Realising that the bible is poorly written, even as literature. There is no sign it was written by anything other than run of the mill humans, who were very sloppy given they were trying to pass their counterfeit off as god’s work.
- Losing your fear of after-death torture.
- Deciding to base your beliefs on evidence rather than peer pressure.
- Realising eternal life is not the perk it is cracked up to be.
- Realising the people who wrote the bible has access to far less information than you do. They just made it up.
- Realising Christianity is just one of 60,000 religions. There is no more reason it should be true than any other.
- Getting yourself up to university level in understanding genetics, DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) and evolution.
- Learning the mathematics to grasp the counter-intuitive parts of science like quantum mechanics, the big bang and Einsteinian time and understanding how the universe runs itself. Study how the universe unfolds by itself without any divine prodding.
- Growing up. Looking after yourself. Stopping looking for cosmic parents to baby you.