Every time there is a major shooting, the head of the NRA (National Rifle Association), Wayne Lapierre, announces the shooting would not have happened if the victims had been carrying guns. This is naïve, wishful thinking. Consider:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- The attacker has the advantage of preparation and rehearsal.
- The attacker has the advantage of surprise.
- Just as in a western, the attacker has the drop on his victims.
- With automatic weapons, the attack is over before victims have time to blink much less have time to retaliate. In war, soldiers with pistols would consider it suicide to go up against machine guns.
- In the USA, gun carrying is common. Yet the only time we ever hear of a victim helping foil a shooting is when he was a well-trained off-duty police officer.
- If you buy a gun, by far the person it will most likely kill is your spouse or your kids. Stopping a mass shooting is a far-fetched Rambo fantasy. Which is more important, your family or your fantasy?