I have seen sure-fire arguments for the non-existence of gods fail when presented to Christians. I have seen them repeatedly close their eyes when presented with errors and blatant inconsistencies in the bible asserting they cannot possibly be there. Even when they have no rebuttal, they wriggle out saying, something like There must be an explanation. How could you expect a humble servant of god like me to know it. or That sounds convincing, but probably I am too stupid to understand such mysteries. You should talk to my pastor.. What alternate sorts of arguments might work?
- Demonstrate that belief in Christianity makes people more judgemental, greedier, more likely to steal, more likely to rape, more likely to molest children, more likely to commit murder, more likely to be a war criminal.
- Demonstrate that non-Christians are happier and more prosperous.
- Demonstrate that other people are laughing at them behind their backs for their medieval beliefs.
- Convince them that aiding and abetting the Christian con makes them no better than any other con man.
- Viciously ridicule them. Christianity convinces losers to feel superior to people with more skills and talents that they have. Show them you are not buying it. You consider them cretins, bumpkins, idiots.
- Point out that even if Yahweh exists, he has utterly ignored them. Never once has he done a damn thing to help no matter how terrible things got. The only help they ever got was from other people.
- Explain to them in detail how the Christian con works to relieve them of their time and money and hand over their children to be molested and how it conscripts them to infect others. Show them it gives them nothing in return but empty promises.
Perhaps the key is understanding why they are so addicted to Christianity despite all reason:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- They treasure the fellowship of family and friends based on Christianity.
- The fear of after death torment is so great it overpowers all reason. It is like other phobias.
- It gives them a reason to feel superior to others, even if they have no special skills.
- It gives the licence to be as nasty as they please to gays and feel profoundly virtuous about it.
- They want to reunite with dead loved ones. They don’t want to give up that fantasy. Even the most intense faith does not help one bit make this lie true.
- They don’t want to give up the fantasy of a kitchen in heaven with easy-to-clean gold surfaces.