The Ten Commandments
People who recommend that the Ten Commandments become the law of the land surely have not read them for 50 years and have completely forgotten what they say.
There are four variants of the ten commandments in the bible: Exodus 20:3-17 (the most popular), Exodus 34, Deuteronomy 5:7, Deuteronomy 10:4 (the only place the phrase ten commandments is used, but it does not list them), Deuteronomy 27.
For most Christians, the only injunction in the bible that is of any importance is Leviticus 18:22 the one that commands you to put gays to death. This sin is quite popular, since most people have no desire to commit it. They can get very excited about the sins of others. Luke 6:37 tells people to focus on their sins, not other peoples’ but nobody pays any attention.
The Ten Commandments have no problem with rape, slavery, genocide, infanticide, abortion, blood drinking, animal cruelty… You might think this was just an oversight. But if you read the bible cover to cover, Yahweh frequently makes these crimes mandatory.
One of the variants of the ten commandments demands human sacrifice of all first born. Surely Christians can’t have read this when they recommend the Ten Commandments be made the basis of all civil law.
There are thousand of things that the bible calls for the death penalty. Most Christians pay absolutely no attention:
Biblical morality is so insane and so out of date, even the most fanatical Christians ignore it, while giving it lip service. e.g.
- beat your wife and kids.
- dash out the brains of babes of neighbouring tribes.
- do not use antibiotics.
- force women to marry their rapists.
- keep slaves.
- kill anyone who eats leftovers on the third day.
- kill adulterous women.
- kill all Ameleks or any of dozens of other ethnicities.
- kill all Sunday shoppers.
- kill all brides without hymens.
- kill all gays, not just refuse to make them cakes.
- kill all prostitutes.
- kill all unwed mothers.
- kill all witches.
- kill anyone of a different religion and all their Christian friends.
- kill anyone who cuts his hair or beard. Elsewhere it condemns you for not trimming your beard. Elsewhere it demands rounded and square shapes. You can’t win.
- kill anyone who eats a shrimp, lobster, owl, rabbit, rare roast, snail, hare, clam, shrimp, oyster, camel, pork, swan, owl, eagle, osprey, bat, dog, locust, beetle or dozens of other animals.
- kill anyone who grows more than one species of plant in a field.
- kill anyone who owns a painting.
- kill anyone who rakes leaves on Sunday.
- kill anyone who says the word god.
- kill anyone who wears more than one type of fibre in his clothing.
- kill anyone with a statue in their yard.
- kill anyone with a tattoo.
- kill females who speak in public.
- kill sassy teens.
- obey rules involving ritual uncleanliness of menstruation.
- you must sacrifice animals.
- you must use separate cookware and dishes for milk and meat.
- you must love your enemies.
- you must sell all you have and give the proceeds to the poor. Take no thought for the morrow. Become a homeless person.
- you must abandon your family.
- being horny is equivalent to adultery, but only for heterosexual males. This encourages real adultery on the grounds of being hanged as a sheep as a lamb. The purpose of this law is to keep males perpetually guilty and hence easy to manipulate. This is just the fantasy of a paedophile priest, who inspired Islam’s 72 virgins.
- It is ok to beat your slaves so long as they do not die immediately.
- Raping a child is ok. Adultery with an unmarried female is ok. Owning a slave is ok.
- JWs (Jehovah’s Witnesses) claim the bible commands no blood transfusions, even if it means death. There is no such commandment. Transfusions were not invented until 1818. There are commandments about eating blood, but JWs ignore the other dietary commandments.
That’s not morality. That is obsessive-compulsive disorder. None of those commandments make any sense except avoiding shellfish in a world without refrigeration, but there is no need to kill anyone.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)