The advantages of using a midwife are:
- You are comfortable in your home.
- It is quiet.
- The midwife behaves more like a friend.
- You can keep the lighting dim.
The advantages of using a doctor are:
- The doctor can handle births that go wrong, not just normal births.
- The doctor has access to an operating room to do an emergency C section.
I advocate merging the two to get the benefits of both. Add home-like birthing rooms to the hospital. If the midwife gets in trouble, a doctor with the full hospital facilities is right there to step in.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)