- The first homo sapiens walked the earth 200,000 years ago.
- It took until 1804 for the global population to reach 1 billion.
- 123 years later in 1927, it reached 2 billion.
- 33 years later in 1960, it reached 3 billion.
- 14 years later in 1974 it reached 4 billion.
- 13 years later in 1987 it reached 5 billion.
- 12 years later in 1999 it reached 6 billion.
- Today it reached 7.381 billion.
- In 2025 it is projected to hit 12 billion.
You can see the problem, called exponential growth. The more people there are, the more people there are having babies and the faster the population grows. The only remotely palatable solution is to lower the birth rate. Each family must have fewer than two children.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)