Crimes of Intention
- A man drives drunk but makes it home safely.
- A man drives drunk and flips over the median killing a family of five.
- A gang shoots randomly at a house.
- A gang shoots randomly at a house and kills a five year old sleeping inside.
- A criminal sprays a policeman with machine gun fire, but the cop lives.
- A criminal sprays a policeman with machine gun fire, but the cop dies.
The law tends to punish (2) much more severely than (1)-style crimes. I say (1) and (2) are identical crimes. In both, the criminal made the same conscious choice. What changed is a chance outcome. Criminals in both (1) and (2) took the same risk with other people’s safety. In general, attempted crimes should have an equally tough a penalty to actual crimes. You should not be forgiven for incompetence or chance.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)