Switching from cars to bicycles is an incredible win:
- Bicycles need no fuel.
- Bicycles put out no pollutants or greenhouse gases.
- Bicycles are quiet.
- Bicycles mean fewer cars; fewer cars mean less congestion.
- Bicycle accidents are almost never fatal (unless a car is involved.)
- They give people cardio exercise that keeps the arteries clear.
- Bicycles don’t require wide streets or freeways.
- Bicycles are much cheaper than cars, as are the repairs and maintenance.
Everyone should visit the Netherlands to see how pleasant a carless society is. Paris goes carless three days a week. As fossil fuels become increasingly rare and expensive and as the absolute necessity for curbing greenhouse gases sinks in, we will all be giving up our cars for bicycles (perhaps electric assisted for the disabled or elderly).~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)