Let us say you are an NRA (National Rifle Association) member and you tote a concealed pistol with you everywhere you go. You dream of some day encountering a mass shooting in progress and putting a stop to it with your pistol. You may well encounter a mass shooting, but it is highly unlikely you will be able to stop it. Why?
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- The shooter has rehearsed over and over. You are taken unawares.
- You are armed with a pistol. The shooter will likely have an arsenal including assault rifles.
- The shooter is likely clothed in kevlar; you are not.
- The authorities will likely assume you are part of the bad guy’s team and shoot you. So will other vigilantes. There is nothing about you that says good guy. You look just like another shooter.
- Adrenalin is pumping. Statistically you are more likely to hit a victim, fellow vigilante or authority than a shooter.
- From the authorities’ point of view, you are like an untrained police officer who refuses to obey orders. You are a royal pain in the ass who interferes with the operation.
- One 48-year old woman decided she should to kill a shoplifter at a Michigan Home Depot even though shoplifting is not a capital offence. She was behaving like an untrained rookie. The police don’t need that kind of help.
- Imagine if people showed up at fires and started chopping, working at odds against the professional firefighters, often endangering them. Imagine if people without medical training, showed up at medical emergencies and tried to treat the problems before the ambulance arrived, stabbing needles into people’s hearts. We would sue them for practicing medicine without a licence. So why should we tolerate amateur policemen interfering?
- Consider how many mass shootings there have been. Consider how many were stopped by gun toting amateurs. It just does not happen. Admit to yourself the reason you carry a gun has nothing to do with protecting strangers. It is all about bullying and bravado.