Corporations Need Coercion to Create Jobs
It is naïve to expect corporations to pull the economy out of the doldrums by creating jobs without some friendly persuasion. A corporation has but a single goal, to make the most profit possible, now. Anything else it does is subservient to this overarching goal. Unfortunately, maximising profit requires the following actions:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- Laying off workers and replacing them with automation, computerisation or lower priced workers.
- Shutting down divisions that are only marginally profitable.
- Busting unions.
- Forcing workers to take lower wages.
- Forcing workers to work extra hours without pay, often by giving them Blackberries and expecting them to be on call 24/7.
- Investing money rather than spending it on projects.
- Cutting benefits such as medical care and pensions.
- Lowering the comfort and safety of working conditions.
- If you give corporations money, say in the form of lower taxes, wishfully thinking they might use it to create jobs, they issue a dividend instead.