Age of the Earth
Creationists claim the earth is only 6000 years old. There is only one reason to think that. The bible says so. There is no physical evidence to support that. Here are some of the ways you know that is not true:
- Count the sediment layers.
- Count the ice-core rings.
- Count the rings in long lived trees.
- Trace the ring patterns back in trees that live a few centuries.
- Note that most of the light that comes from the cosmos comes from further away than 6000 light years. It must have been created more than 6000 years ago.
- Use radiometric dating of rocks.
- Use carbon 14 dating of ancient plant and animal life.
- Measure the expansion of space and work back to calculate how long it would take to get to the big bang.
- Measure the rates at which evolution occurs and calculate how much time it would have taken for the earth to develop the life it has.
- Use the DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) clocks in plants and animals to determine the ages of various species.
- Study the formation of other stars and planets and see how long various stages take.
- The bible is wrong on every science claim it makes. E.g. dove blood cures leprosy. rabbits chew their cud, π is 3. Showing a goat a painted striped board will cause it to have striped offspring. Disease is caused by demons. Volcanoes are caused by Jehovah’s wrath. The world is flat, square and rests on four pillars. The stars are holes in a metal bowl. There was a global flood that covered Mount Everest. If the bible was wrong on every other science claim, why would you expect it to be correct on the age of the earth? The authors of the bible know absolutely nothing about science even though the creator of the universe would have to be a consummate expert. Therefore the authors of the bible had nothing to do with creating the universe. That the creator of the universe authored the bible is a ridiculous lie. To claim that sloppy piece of mythology was written by the creator of the universe is the highest blasphemy.
Sometimes creationists acknowledge that all the evidence indeed points to the earth being 4.54 billion years old. They claim Jehovah faked it to fool people into thinking it was old. I think that is a silly argument because:
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:68)
- Reputedly, Jehovah does not lie.
- If Jehovah went to all this painstaking work to convince you, you had damn well better believe him.
- If you are a Christian, I would assume you are more certain that Jehovah made the Grand Canyon than penned the bible. It would be quite easy for crooked humans to counterfeit a bible. They would have a heck of a time faking the Grand Canyon. I would think then the Grand Canyon trumps the bible as an example of legitimate divine handiwork. The Grand Canyon says the earth is billions of years old.