People with delusions cling to them strongly. They will not even consider the possibility they might be wrong. Why?
- They get to feel superior to those who do not share the delusion. The fewer people accept the delusion, the greater the effect.
- Delusions are often all-explaining. They greatly simplify the universe without actually giving any ability to predict it. The deluded get to feel supremely wise.
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:68)
- If the deluded believe in prayer, they will rely on it rather working toward the goal.
- If the deluded believe in an afterlife, they will sacrifice normal pleasures.
- If the deluded believe the bible is the commands of god, they might kill a gay person or a non-virgin bride, then pay the legal consequences.
- If the deluded believe people or demons are spying on them and working to flout them, they make their lives miserable defending against non-existent enemies.
- If the deluded believe in creationism, they exclude themselves from many scientific or medical careers.