If God Existed…
If god existed, a number of things would have to be so. However, they are not. Therefore, god does not exist.
- In many places the bible asserts that Jesus/Jehovah answers every single prayer. Christians assert that the bible was written by god, so everything in it must be true. So we should see every prayer answered. We see none, not even the most deserving requests.
- The bible claims an utterly astounding and impossible miracle occurred when Jesus died. There was a solar eclipse during a full moon (astronomically impossible). The darkness covered the entire world (again astronomically impossible). (How would the bible authors even know if China were dark?). It claims it lasted 3 hours. Solar eclipses last only 7 minutes. There is no historical record of this amazing eclipse anywhere on earth. Mathematically you can predict future or past eclipses. There was no eclipse. In other words, the bible lied. If there were a god, and if that god composed the bible, this lie would not be there.
- There were 21 historians at the time and place of the alleged Jesus. Not a one of them ever wrote a word about him, though they wrote about similar religious figures. The bible claims, when Jesus died, the dead saints became zombies and wandered the streets. Not one of these historians mentioned this. If this story were true then surely all the historians would have mentioned this.
- The bible claims 4000 years ago, all animal species were reduced to a pair. DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) analysis shows this is impossible. If there were a god, DNA analysis would confirm Genesis.
- The bible claims god designed each species separately. We should see evidence of intelligent design. If animals were designed, the designer was grossly incompetent and had no ability to think ahead. An infinitely intelligent designer would not have made blunders such as giving humans a fragile back suitable for a quadruped, not a biped or leaving behind a vestigial organ such as the appendix.
- The bible claims the earth is 6000 years old. Counting sediment layers, counting ice core layers, radioactive dating, counting tree rings, extrapolating erosion… all insist the world in much older, estimated at 4.54 billion years. If there were a god, geology would confirm the 6000 year estimate.
My arguments counter the Christian god and what Christians claim about that god. That does not preclude the existence of some other god such as Zeus.~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:68)