Changing the World
I have an ambitious list of large scale changes I am trying to make in the world including:
- Have fewer babies to take the ecological pressure off the environment.
- Stop emitting greenhouse gases.
- Get on with clean energy.
- Stop claiming the bible is literally true.
- Israel withdraw its occupation of Palestine, the USA withdraw its occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Stop imposing biblical superstitions on non-Christians.
- Stop persecuting gays, blacks, women, Muslims.
- Stop interfering with other people’s end-of-life decisions, marijuana use and contraception.
- Stop exploiting people in the third world.
- Stop polluting the air, water and soil.
- Reserve substantial pristine habitat for other species.
- Put Monsanto out of business.
- Reduce the power of corporations.
- Reduce military spending to that needed for defence.
- Convince the USA to provide health care for all its citizens whether they can afford to pay or not.
- Truth in labeling laws.
Even though I take action on these every day, I very rarely see any progress. The key to keeping up the pressure without getting discouraged is to see my goal as to take action, not necessarily to succeed. It may take hundreds of years of steady pressure from people like me and from more skillful persuaders for the inertia to be overcome. The outcome depends on how much effort those opposing me do. I just want to make sure I have done more than my fair share of the work.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)