~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- Christians and Muslims exalt in overpopulation. To them, population growth is a race to swamp the earth with
believers in their religion.
- Christians and Muslims both foolishly declare there is plenty of sparsely populated land, so there is no need
to be concerned about overpopulation. But building space is not the limiting resource. It is clean water, energy
and food. We have polluted most of the water sources. We have sent the climate on a dizzying change by rapidly
burning all the fossil fuels. We have already planted every last scrap of arable land. We have almost drained the
aquifers. We will soon be flooding the prime agricultural land in coastal areas with climate-change fueled ocean
rise. We are on schedule to kill off the remaining food fish species by 2048.
- Cities are built on prime arable land. That’s why they were originally situated there. Now urban sprawl
is covering up the surrounding arable land. As population grows, we have less and less arable land to grow food
for more and more people.
- Our technological society works by burning our capital, in particular fossil fuels, minerals, aquifers and
soil. We take no heed to leave resources for future generations.
- If everyone on earth lived the way a North American does, we would need five extra planets.
- When animals overpopulate, predators, disease or hunger cuts population back down to size. We humans have so
far been clever enough to defeat predators, disease and even hunger. But we cannot do this indefinitely (unless
we learn to live sustainably). We live on a finite planet with finite resources.
- Endless population growth or endless economic growth are both mathematically impossible. They are insane
goals. They are like aspiring to mass suicide.