Driving to Extinction
Mythically speaking, for millions of years, there has been a great race the animals run every year to judge fitness. The reward for good showing is sex and progeny. The punishment for poor showing is celibacy or death. We humans are driving species after species extinct. We are upsetting this evolved balance of species in many ways:
- We take a shine to a species as food and drive it extinct with advanced weapons.
- A species that is naturally almost extinct, we keep helping to stay in the race. Had we not been here, they would have died out.
- We kill off some species by taking over its territory.
- We kill off some species by polluting its environment.
- We are about to kill off more than half of all species with climate change. We have moral responsibility to at least attempt not to do that.
When the forces of greed are so keen on wiping out all of earth’s species, where should those oppose them put their resources?
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- The poster child species, colourful, furry, cute, harmless looking, cuddly, childhood favourites. This will attract the most money.
- By the total biomass of the species. If it were a winner, we should back winners.
- By how close to extinction the species is in terms of numbers or numbers needs to sustain a population.
- By how much damage humans have done them beyond what we were doing 10,000 years ago. Ideally we would like to have a neutral net effect.