Homo Sapiens is a Failed Species
I contend homo sapiens is a failed species. We are essentially hosed. Within a century, our numbers will drop to perhaps 20 million and technology will disappear. What’s the problem?
Basically our brains grew rapidly giving us hugely expanded power, but we kept the same primitive, greed-centred, short-term-centered motivation system. There was no corresponding increased restraint. Even when our intellect warns us some action is suicidal in the long run, we have no ability to curb our short term desires.
Let’s look at some of the ways we have sown the seeds of our own destruction.
- We breed without limit, far beyond the carrying capacity of earth. Religions fan this lunacy.
- We are on target to wipe out the last ocean food fish by 2048.
- We are deliberately driving bees needed for pollination to extinction.
- We are on target to wipe out half the terrestrial species.
- We have flatly refused to avoid emitting greenhouse gases. We will thus suffer the consequences of climate change, which Environment Canada called second only to global nuclear war. We have already cranked up the CO₂ levels to 400 ppm, on track for 450 soon. The last time, 3 million years ago, when CO₂ levels were this high, average temperatures reached 8.0°C (14.4°F) higher than today and the seas reached 40 metres (43.74 yards) higher than today.
- We have flatly refused to invest in a replacement clean energy for fossil fuels.
- We have poisoned the soils and rivers. It is no longer safe for a pregnant woman to eat a fresh water fish anywhere in the USA.
- We have used techniques of agriculture that rapidly erode the soils. We have just a small fraction of the original soil legacy left.
- We have stockpiled enough nuclear and biological weapons to wipe ourselves out many times over.
- We invented an artificial life form that has taken over the planet. They have a very primitive motivation system — short term profit. Everything else is irrelevant, even their own survival. Even though they are primitive, they are extremely powerful. They buy politicians and force them to do things that are suicidal to the species. They feel no pain. They cannot be jailed. They have no concept of morality. There is very little that can be done to influence them. They are like Dr. Frankenstein’s monsters. I speak of corporations, which enjoy the status of humans in the USA. And oddly, in the USA, this immoral behaviour is required by law.
Even if the odds are hopeless, you might as well do what you can to save our planet. There is always a chance of something unexpected. If you give up, there is no chance.
We have a longshot, artificial intelligence smarter than humans. It might have the means to solve these global problem, and the guile or power to impose the solutions on us humans, but there is little reason to think it would have any interest in doing so.~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:69)
|Light Bulbs||Advantages and disadvantages of incandescent, fluorescent and halogen light bulbs. 2017-01-02|
|Conspiracy Theories||An examination of conspiracy theories, in particular the global warming is a hoax conspiracty theory 2017-02-19|
|Driverless Cars and Taxis||What driverless cars and taxis will be like. 2017-01-30|
|Brita Water Filters||Advantages and disadvantages of Brita water filters. Why bottled water is evil. 2017-01-17|
|Why No Action?||Why there is no action on climate change and why there are so many people spreading disinformation. 2017-01-19|
|Dawn Dishwashing Detergent Fraud||Dawn Dishwashing Detergent fraudulently promises to donate $1 of each sale to helping wildlife. 2017-01-02|
|Environmental Glossary||A glossary of terms you will hear in environmental discussions, particularly global warming. 2017-02-22|
|Quotations about the Environment||Quotations about the Environment, particular global warming. 2017-02-24|
|Kyoto Accord||Why we should ratify the Kyoto Accord on greenhouse gas emissions. 2017-02-22|
|Energy and Climate Change||Energy and Climate Change: A Sustainable Future?. Global warming, the end of oil, future energy sources. A partially-completed transcription of a talk by Dr. Thomas Homer-Dixon with a link to the video. 2017-01-02|
|Electric Bikes||Electric-assist bicycles 2017-01-17|
|Ancient Forests||Preserving the Primeval Forests. 2017-01-17|
|Going Carless||Why you don’t want a car. 2017-02-15|
|Extinction||Some musings on when and how man will go extinct. 2017-02-24|
|Overpopulation||Overpopulation, the problem and what has to be done. 2017-02-15|
|An Ehouse||A design for an ecological, energy-efficient, earthquake-resistant house. 2017-02-14|
|Are You An Environmental Pig?||Are you part of the solution or part of the problem. Are you an environmental pig? Check yourself out. 2017-02-15|
|Environmental Vandalism||There are two kinds of environmental vandalism: type 1 and type 2. Type 1 vandalism are actions that deliberately and needlessly damage the environment. Type-2 vandalism are the retaliatory actions of eco-terrorists against type-1 vandals. 2017-01-02|
|The Idiot Response||How and Why Humans respond like idiots to global problems. 2017-01-02|
|Greenpeace||One of the first environmental action movements. I have been helping them since 1968. I can vouch they are good people. One thing you can do to help is put Greenpeace banners on your website.|
|Dr. David Suzuki||I have known the people at the David Suzuki foundation, including David’s wife Tara, since 1961. I can vouch they are good people.|
|Western Canada Wilderness Committee||I have known the people at the WCWC since 1985. I can vouch they are good people. They work primarily to save BC’s old growth forests. You might consider sending them your $100 carbon reduction government giveaway cheque. You will probably get more carbon sequestered that way than any other way you could spend it. unknown|
|Feedback||Read feedback from readers of the environment section. If you don’t want your message and my reply publicly posted, please let me know. 2017-01-02|
Predictions About Trump
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:69)
- Trump will leave office with the lowest approval ratings of any president in history. All his lies, empty promises, bigotry and narcissistic behaviour will become clear even to his most diehard supporters.
- If Trump manages to capture and expel 11 million Mexicans and Americans with Mexican parents, it will become almost impossible to find people willing to take low-paying jobs such as nanny, vegetable picker, fruit picker, landscaper, lawn cutter, car wash attendant, dog walker, restaurant worker, night watchman, groundskeeper, pool boy, housecleaner, street cart vendor, streetsweeper… The USA will have to offer a cash bonus to entice them back.
- As he promised, Trump will vastly increase the public debt with spending on the military. The country will default on its debt, literally go bankrupt. Trump will personally make billions from it as he has done four times before from his bankruptcies.
- Trump will be convicted of gang rape of Katie Johnson, a 13-year old virgin, when his friend Jeffrey Epstein pleads immunity.
- Trump will not serve out his first term in office. He will leave by:
- resigning in disgrace, perhaps before he is even inaugurated. Donald loves to start projects, then abandon them when he gets bored with the hard work.
- being impeached.
- from fentanyl contamination of his cocaine, one plausible cause of Trump’s alternating mania and paranoia and his sniffing.
- From an undisclosed problem with his circulatory system.
- from assassination. Consider:
- 1/3 of all people who ran for president were shot.
- Donald likes to entertain large, unruly, unscreened, armed mobs.
- A bullet proof vest will not protect his head.
- His prominent head presents a stationary line-of-site target to every audience member.
- Modern snipers can pick a target off from over 1.61 km (1 mile) away.
- Hundreds of photographers get a clear shot at him many times a day. One of those cameras could shoot a bullet, poison dart or poisonous insect.
- People like Putin would not think twice about knocking Trump off once he outlives his usefulness.
- Trump’s lack of prudence suggests a narcissistic desire for martyrdom.
- The Republican party will have a civil war of finger pointing, trying to shift the blame for Trump’s rise to power.
This page is posted
Optional Replicator mirror
Your face IP:[188.8.131.52]
You are visitor number|