anonymiser : Java Glossary
An anonymiser lets you send anonymous email or post anoynmously to newsgroups. Simply
posting under a phony name gives you next to no anonymity. I can’t think of any
legitimate reasons for sending anonymous email, except to warn someone of a threat.
The reasons for posting anonymously to newsgroups include:
Anonymisers protect you only from being known to the general public. They
won’t protect you from organisations such as the Taliban or the
CIA (Central Intelligence Agency). The conservative assumption is that anonymisers are
run by the CIA/TIA, or will quickly cave into pressure from such. The same applies to
any anonymising software.
- To avoid reprisals from people who don’t want your message heard. The
most common reprisals are telephone death threats to you and/or your family.
- To make people focus on your message, not on who said it.
- To deceive people into thinking there is more support for your position than
there actually is.
- To camouflage your vested interests, e.g. the name of the company you work
- To attract the attention of the authorities.
People eventually give themselves away by accidentally posting an
anonymous message without an anonymiser, or by accidentally posting an ordinary
message anonymously, or even by their style, spelling and vocabulary.
You can find anonymiser sites with google. Most are
hard to use. Most are awkward to use. I have no idea how to judge how trustworthy
each one is.