file explorer : Java Glossary
- file explorer
The built-in Windows file explorer is lame. Oddly, the file explorers of the DOS era were much better.
It lets you copy, move, delete and view files.
If someone gets around to writing an improved file explorer, here are some suggestions:
- Allow you to sort file lists both by file name and file extension.
- Provide fast viewers (like the old Magellan) so you can rapidly view files without bringing up the entire app for processing them.
- Display a row of icons, similar to the task bar you can configure. Most of the icons are shortcuts to change the current directory.
- Provide rapid ways to reconfigure the icons.
- Get rid of that silly jungle gym of useless gadgets at the top of the file explorer window.
- Let you type a wildcard to limit which files in a directory are displayed. When you copy that directory, only those files get copied.
- Display two panels of files at once. Copy and move imply copying or moving files to the other panel without having to specify the target.
- Provide commands so that differences and similarities between the two panels are highlighted. Use colour to indicate which panel has the
newer version of a file.