Google Groups : Java Glossary
- Google Groups
Google Groups is a service to let you read and post
messages to the newsgroups using only your browser rather than a
I don’t recommend using it except in an emergency for a number of reasons:
- It is much slower than using a proper newsreader.
- Google does not track which messages you have already read.
- There are bugs in Google. When you quote other people’s posts, Google mangles them.
- Google encourages its users to casually create new newsgroups. That is not something a novice should do. It
is properly done only by consensus with extensive discussion.
- Google gives its users the impression that the newsgroups are its proprietary invention. They are merely a
tap into the global public newsgroups. When people refer to the newsgroups as Google
Groups they get pelted with virtual vegetables for the hubris.
- Google’s login process is hopelessly buggy. It a matter of blind luck to be able to login
- People who use Google Groups are dismissed as know-nothing newbies.