proxomitron : Java Glossary
I have left this tombstone entry for historical interest.
An HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) filter that looks at a web
page before your browser sees it and prunes out things you find obnoxious such as:
This list just scratches the surface of what it can do. It has an international
cult following of people who manage to get it to do manner of unlikely things.
- Control MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) music and other sounds.
- Freeze animated .*.gifs — load only the first
- Kill most all advertising banners.
- Stop Web-Branding and other scripts added by web space providers.
- Stop Pop-up alert/confirm boxes.
- Remove slow web counters.
- Stop web pages and ads from auto-refreshing.
- Remove Dynamic HTML.
- Prevent getting stuck in someone’s frames.
- Remove frames or tables altogether for that matter.
- Kill or change selected Java scripts and Applets.
- Add your own scripts to pages.
- Remove or replace web page and/or table background images.
- Stop Status bar scrollers.
- Unhide URLs (Uniform Resource Locators)
obscured by status line text.
- Convert blinking text to bold.
- Remove Layers and Style sheets.