Iraq War Torture
George W. Bush said the other day that the world should see his administration’s handling of the abuses at
Abu Ghraib prison as a model of transparency and accountability. He said those responsible were being
systematically punished, regardless of rank. It made for a nice Oval Office photo-op on a Friday morning.
Unfortunately, none of it is true.
~ New York Times (born: 1851 age: 162), 2005-05-23
Torture is wrong, even when Americans do it.
~ God , 2007-10-01
It is natural to want to disbelieve accounts of torture. It is sickening to discover the depths of cruelty your
fellow man can sink to. Watch yourself playing the denial game as you read on. If you are like most people, you will
find the least offensive torture, or the least solidly documented and seize on it, then discount it, and then try to
convince yourself all the horror has gone away. All you have done is sweep it under the carpet. You
can’t stop the torture if you lie to yourself that it does not exist. It is real. There are even criminal
Diplomat Ann Wright argues the tortures concocted showed a deep understanding of Arab and Muslim culture. There is no way
ordinary American soldiers came up with these on their own. They must have been taught them by their superiors who
had access to experts.
Bush sent a directive in 2002-02 that the resistance in Afghanistan
were to be treated as terrorists, unprotected by the Geneva conventions. This left the fighters and POWs (Prisoner Of Wars)
open to any
Navy Seal Dan Cerrillo, testified the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) ordered
the Seals to torture prisoners.
Sign at Guantánamo torture camp mockingly reads HONOR BOUND TO DEFEND FREEDOM, reminiscent of
Hitler’s Arbeit Macht Frei he had painted over the gates to the Jewish concentration camps.
At Guantánamo and Abu Ghraib here is a partial list of the sexual abuse and torture:
Guantánamo and Abu Ghraib were not the work of isolated deviants. All this torture was exquisitely planned ahead of time by the
Bush administration. Bush and Rumsfeld spent far more time plotting the torture than they did the invasion. Think
about that. Torture is something you do as a last resort. These guys relished it, slavering over it for months like
kids eager for Christmas.
- Doctors tortured prisoners. 35 pages of government documents.
- A US military investigation found Iraqi detainees were held with their Taping eyes shut in tiny box-like cells
for up to seven days at a time while loud music blared at a special operations holding facility.
- The Washington Post
reported that the CIA is hiding, interrogating and torturing captives in Thailand, Afghanistan and several
countries in Eastern Europe. CIA interrogators in the overseas sites are permitted to use the CIA ’s
approved Enhanced Interrogation Techniques; (aka torture) some of which are prohibited by the U.N.
convention and by U.S. military law. The black-site program was approved by a small
circle of White House and Justice Department lawyers and officials. There are four main arguments against using
Last revised/verified: 2005-11-08
- It is morally abhorrent. It is condemned by every major religion.
- It has no benefits. Under torture, you will say whatever you think the tormenter wants to hear to get them
to stop. The information gleaned is worthless. Bush tortured Iraqis to get his phony evidence for war. A
terrorist locked away in seclusion is out of the loop. All plans have been changed and the detainee is not up
to date. Ask John McCain what he thinks of torture. He knows first hand how ineffective it is.
- Standard Operating Procedure . Errol Morris’s full-length documentary on the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib
- Using torture lowers the bar. Your opponents then are obligated to use torture too, not only on P.O.W.s but
on civilians and children, just as America has done.
- Using torture alienates your allies.
- Italian TV broadcast a documentary. It is about the American atrocities and torture in Iraq. One of the most
stomach-wrenching scenes is detainees who have been tortured by boring holes with an electric drill, burning, and
cutting open and resuturing like turkey. You can play a low-res version of the movie online
. You can download the movie
The movie deserves to be shown in IMAX (Image Maximum), so please try for the hi-res version. Last revised/verified: 2005-11-10
- Rape, vaginal and anal of men, women and children.
source : source
- Killing wounded
prisoners to death
- Sodomy with a broomstick and chemical light.
where a suspect is strapped to a board, turned upside down, and immersed in a wet towel to simulate the feeling of
drowning until he loses consciousness.
- Throwing off bridge into river and drowning
- near suffocation
- Parent forced to watch son being tortured.
- oy 12 imprisoned. The Red Cross counted 107 juveniles in six American prisons in Iraq.
- Government documents show
soldiers were ordered to beat the fuck out of prisoners.
to the ceilings of cells for days at a time.
- common peroneal strike, aimed at a point just below the knee and intended to disable. Basically
pulpifying the legs so they look
as though they had though they had been run over by a bus.
- sleep and sensory deprivation: Covering the eyes, ears, wrapping the body in bubble wrap. After a few hours of
this, hallucinations set in then eventually permanent insanity.
technique: stuffing POWs
into a sleeping bag and winding them with an electrical cord.
- Water pit in which detainees have to stand
on tip-toe to keep from drowning.
- breaking a
teen’s jaw, then wiring it shut.
- Pulling out fingers and teeth. See Page 49 of Chain of
- heat and light manipulation
- stress positions, e.g. hands tied behind back hanging in the air by the wrists.
- Severe beatings to the point of death.
- Electric shock
electrodes to private parts. This causes sterility.
- Using trained vicious dogs to anally and vaginally rape prisoners.
- Severe burning
- Giuliana Sgrena reported in ilmanifesto.it (no longer available)
setting vicious dogs on
- Raping young Iraqi boys on
video. 14 year old being raped.
Pulitzer prize winner and breaker of Mai Lai, Seymour Hersch has seen one of the videos. The most horrifying part
is the Americans raping a little boy in front of his parents as the little boy screamed. The irony is, this is the
very tactic, in the very same torture chamber, that Saddam himself used. Judge Hellerstein
is forcing Bush to release the rape videos. Bush is refusing to comply. Last revised/verified: 2005-11-21
- A 26 year old man, Arkan Muhammad Ali, was stabbed, shocked with an electrical device, urinated on and kept locked
— hooded and naked — in a wooden, coffin-like box.
- Exposure to fire and smoke.
- Pulling out fingernails
- Pushing lit cigarettes into ears
- Chaining hand and foot in fetal position without food or water.
- Forced standing on one leg in the sun
- Giuliana Sgrena reported in ilmanifesto.it (no longer available) trampling underfoot.
- Gagging with duct tape
- Tormenting with loud music and strobe lights
- punching and kicking detainees
- jumping on the naked feet of detainees
- covering prisoners in human feces
- Subjecting to freezing/sweltering temperatures, according to an article posted on Truthseeker.co.uk.
- 'Dietary manipulation'. Forcing to eat pork and alcohol forbidden to Muslims. Forcing to eat disgusting
things. Forced to eat the contents of a toilet.
Giuliana Sgrena reported in ilmanifesto.it (no longer available) forced to drink from a toilet bowl.
- Giuliana Sgrena reported in ilmanifesto.it (no longer available)
fforced to separate feces
and urine using bare hands.
- Women forced to stir pots of feces and
urine mixed with lighter fluid.
- According to an article posted on Truthseeker.co.uk, Shabah in which a prisoner is
locked in tight handcuffs and leg irons and forced to sit in a contorted position with a stinking sack over the
head and loud music playing nonstop.
- Hanging by arms from hooks,
- Permitting serious dog bites
- Bending back fingers
- Taping naked prisoner to board so that cannot move and leaving them there for weeks until they go insane.
- Intense isolation for more than 3 months
- Slamming the head into a
wall until it bleeds.
- Stacking of naked prisoners
- Injecting with drugs
- Leaving bullet in body of wounded prisoner.
- Beating prisoners to death
- Locking prisoners naked in the dark for days at a time.
- Shooting into containers with men inside.
- Keeping prisoners in small, outdoor cages.
- Pepper spraying in face
- Forced public
defecation by using dogs to terrorise.
- Repeated, prolonged rectal exams
- inserting suppositories in the anus, diapering, cutting the clothes off with scissors. page 54 of Chain Of Command.
- Forced public masturbation
- Grabbing genitals
- Forcing heads into toilets and flushing
- Riding a 70 year old
woman like a donkey.
- forced breast baring at
- Threatening live burial, drowning, electrocution, rape and death
- Telling a Guantánamo prisoner the Americans had murdered his family then presented him photos with
animal heads superimposed on their bodies.
- mock executions. Two US soldiers were convicted of mock
executions. The names were not released.
- Menstrual Blood. To break the
prisoner’s reliance on God, a female interrogator would tell the detainee that she was menstruating, touch
him, then make sure to turn off the water in his cell so he couldn’t wash. Strict interpretation of Islamic
law forbids physical contact with women other than a man’s wife or family, and with any menstruating women,
who are considered unclean. At Guantánamo, a prostitute menstruated on a man strapped the floor.
- Psychological tortures
- handcuffs tight enough to cut the skin
- inappropriate behaviour with a
- sexual touching
- Confining in outdoor cages without protection from the sun.
- Forced exercising to the point of heart attack.
- Forcing detainees to perform exercises such as deep knee bends for hours on
end, to the point of exhaustion.
- Blowing cigarette smoke into the
sandbags the prisoners were forced to wear as hoods.
- Throwing cold
water on the prisoners in a room that was between 40 degrees and 50 degrees Fahrhenheit.
- Blasting the detainees with heavy-metal music, yelling at them and banging on doors
and ammunition cans.
- hair pulling
- Making child prisoners bark like dogs
before being given candy as food.
- Flushing the Qur’an (the sacred text of the Muslims) down the toilet. Leaving it out as the
only toilet paper. This is equivalent to making Americans shit on or burn the flag. Oddly, this more than any
other humiliation or torture, has the Muslims of the world up in arms. 100 people were hurt in protests in Iran.
Clerics have even threatened jihad over it. There are also reports of standing on the Qur’an, throwing or
kicking it in toilets, and urinating on it. There have been many reports
of the Qur’an being stepped on, tossed on the floor and placed in latrines. The LA
Timesconfirmed dozens of such reports not only at Guantánamo, but also at American-run detention
facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq. Britons too corroborate the story. The Pentagon lied when
they said they had received no reports of Qur’an desecration. The Red Cross informed them as early as
2002. FBI documents
confirm widespread Qur’an desecration. Brigadier General Jay W Hood acknowledged
incidents of Qur’an abuse. On
2005-06-03, the Pentagon described five confirmed incidents of Qur’an mistreatment at Guantánamo
Bay, in which the Muslim holy book was kicked, stepped on, soaked by water balloons, defaced with a scrawled
obscenity, and sprayed with urine. Ironically many of those on the newsgroups asserting that it was a
preposterous lie than Americans had desecrated the Qur’an had previously posted their own Qur’an
desecrating fantasies, and acknowledged atrocities and tortures far worse in American eyes than
that. Others asserted flushing a Qur’an down a toilet was impossible ignoring that some Qur’ans you
can buy on the net are only 3x4" and that it is quite possible to tear out and flush pages of even the
The Koran needs to be flushed.
~ Sign on Danieltown Baptist Church in Forest City Alabama
- Major General Antonio M. Taguba wrote a report on the abuses at
Abu Ghraib between 2003-10 and 2003-12. Here is a section of
it: “Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid on detainees, pouring cold water on naked
detainees, beating detainees with a broom handle and a chair, threatening male detainees with rape, allowing a
military police guard to stitch the wound of a detainee who was injured after being slammed against the wall in his
cell; sodomizing a detainee with a chemical light and perhaps a broom stick, and using military working dogs to
frighten and intimidate detainees with threats of attack, and in one instance actually biting a
- the abuses listed here are just the tip of the
- These abuse may sound too outrageous to believe. Have a look at the routine use of torture and abuse in
domestic prisons in the USA.
Nearly all the links above discuss more than one form of torture. Read the lot to get the big picture of what is
going on. Here is a list of resources to find
Guilty of Torture
I think about over 20% of the people thus far that have been held to account as a
result of the Abu Ghraib issue have been officers. I’m comfortable that we’re getting to the bottom of
the situation. And I know we’re doing so in a transparent way.
~ George W. Bush (born: 1946-07-06 age: 67), commenting on the fact finding of probable cause to charge 27 officers and enlisted
soldiers with offences ranging from dereliction of duty to maiming and involuntary manslaughter in the Dilawar
torture case and charges recommended against 15 of them for the Habibullah torture case.
After much denial, Bush finally regretted the torture at Abu Ghraib, or more specifically regretted the scandal on
Charged with torture at Abu
Ghraib are Lynndie England
and Charles Graner
. Like many other US soldiers, Graner is a
psychopath who used to send pictures of his bloodied torture victims home to his children. Lynndie England
pleaded guilty at her trial on 2005-05-04, but the military judge threw out the guilty plea saying she did not know what she was
doing. On 2008-09-25 she was sentenced to 3 years in jail. She could have got
up to 11 years. Her married boyfriend, Charles Graner was sentenced to 10 in prison
Like a Nazi, Grainer whined that he was just following orders and blamed everyone but himself.
Some of the torturers include Brits have been charged too including Corporal Daniel Kenyon
33, and Lance Corporals Mark Cooley ,
25, and Lance Corporal Darren Larkin
30. Daniel Kenyon was sentenced to 18 months,
Mark Cooley to 2 years, and Daniel Larkin to 5 months. Ivan Chip Frederick
was convicted of taking sadistic
Javal S. Davis :
: has been charged with conspiracy to maltreat detainees, dereliction of duty for failing to protect detainees from
abuse, maltreatment of detainees, rendering false official statements and assault.
was convicted on 2005-05-16 of 6 of 7 counts of prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib. She was the
photographer of some of the most famous Abu Ghraib abuse pictures.
The CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) prepared a timeline. Remember the faces. Make sure if you
ever run into these sadists after they get out of prison to make their lives highly inconvenient.
The surprise is, they look like ordinary nice people. The men who ordered them to do the atrocities got medals.
The ACLU is suing Donald Rumsfeld for his part is ordering the Abu Ghraib tortures : details. It seems every week they subpoena another
government document confessing more torture. The US Navy was so horrified at the interrogation techniques
and Guantánamo, they considered refusing to have anything to do with the camp.
The 2003-09-14 memo by Army Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez
clearly establishes that Gen. Sanchez authorized unlawful interrogation techniques for use in Iraq, and in particular
these techniques violate the Geneva Conventions and the Army’s own field manual governing interrogations. This
puts a lie to Bush’s claim the tortures were the results of a few renegades. In a rape case, normally you
interview both the accused and the victims. Americans seem to think the Iraqis have no right to be heard.
The bitch of Abu Ghraib, Janis
gave her excuses for the abominations. She has
fingered General Geoffrey D. Miller
The torture was not just a few bad apples. It goes right to the top. Both Human Rights Watch and Amnesty
International USA say there is prima facie evidence against Rumsfeld for war crimes and torture. And
Amnesty International USA says there is also prima facie evidence against Bush for war crimes and torture.
The British have been almost as bad. 18 men were charged with sexually abusing and
beating to death Iraqi civilians. They are also charged with sexually abusing
10 year olds.
These so-called ill-treatments and this torturing in concentration camps, stories of which were spread everywhere
among the people, and later by the prisoners that were liberated by the occupying armies, were not, as assumed,
inflicted methodically, but were excesses committed by individual leaders, subleaders, and men who laid violent
hands on internees.
~ Rudolf Höss
(born: 1900-11-25 died: 1947-04-16 at age: 46),
not to be confused with Rudolph Hess,
For a while Bush denied this was happening.
The Iraqi people are now free. And they do not have to worry about the secret police coming after them in the
middle of the night, and they don’t have to worry about their husbands and brothers being taken off and shot,
or their wives being taken to rape rooms. Those days are over.
The truth was, now, not only wives were taken, but children. Bush used the Saddam’s own instruments of torture
in Saddam’s own dungeons, and Bush built many more.
~ L. Paul Bremer III (born: 1941-09-30 age: 72)
Administrator, [Iraq] Coalition Provisional Authority, 2003-09-02
Iraq is free of rape rooms and torture chambers.
There is a natural reluctance to believe anyone could commit deeds as foul as these, but recall, in every war when
the historians picked through the data, they invariably find what really happened was even worse than what was
reported during the war. During a war, a country works very hard to excuse, deny and disguise its own wrongdoing
least the public lose stomach for the war.
~ George W. Bush (born: 1946-07-06 age: 67), remarks to 2003 Republican National Committee Presidential
Gala, 2003-10-08, lying through his teeth. He had videos made of child anal rapes in his
The usual excuse given for torturing is that it is the only way to get crucial information out of terrorists, such as
the location of a nuclear attack. This is nonsense. When people are tortured they will say anything they think
might stop the torment. They will confess to any preposterous, depraved crime or conspiracy. They will pretend to
knowledge they don’t have. Torture is ineffective for getting high quality information. Professional
interrogators say you get much better results by developing rapport. If the Americans were serious about getting good
information, they would use polygraphs (or better still PET scans which nobody knows how to defeat). So then why
- As part of Shock & Awe. American routinely torture all detainees, including children. The idea is to
demoralise the Iraqis by convincing them that Americans are even more cruel and brutal that Saddam or the Nazis,
and thus that resistance is futile. After surviving that experience the idea is an Iraqi would lick the boots or
nether parts of an American rather than suffer than way again.
- To get confessions to use for political purposes.
- For entertainment and sexual pleasure. The sort of people who go into soldiering are natural bullies and
sadists. Psychologists tell us that whenever you give absolute power of one group over another, sadism, abuse and
torture develop within days. The Americans have overwhelming technological superiority over the Iraqis. This
tendency to sadism in that situation is part of human nature. There is nothing unusual about Americans.