The image in the top left corner is a Greenland Ice Core
Not Just Evolution
Creationists have a much bigger problem than just rejecting
evolution. To be consistent, they have to reject most of modern science
- DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid)
contains a clock that tells us that life on earth is billions of years old,
not 6017 years
defines a family tree completely at odds with the bible.
- Modern science treats mental problems by correcting chemical
imbalances and killing pathogens. The bible says they are caused by
- Radiometric dating tells us the earth is
4.54 years old, not
- Geology that examines silt strata laid down each year tell us the
earth is billions of years old, not
old. This same geology is used to find oil.
- In Greenland we can drill down 680,000
layers of snow, each representing the snow for one year Ice cores
tell us the earth is at least 680,000 years
old, not 6017 years
old. We thus have a record of temperature and atmospheric content
going way back.
- We are seeing light/microwave radiation that originated
years ago from the distant parts of the universe. If the universe
were only 6017 years
old, we could see objects at most 6017
light-years distant. The sky would be almost black.
- The bible conflicts with chemistry, computer science,
pharmaceutical science, quantum mechanics, astronomy, physics and
even mathematics (It claims π is precisely 3).
- Creationists claim climate change/global warming must be a
hoax because Jehovah is going to destroy the earth any day now and
they are sure he would not let us humans jump the gun. There is no
evidence for either claim.
What is a creationist to do?
- Claim all science is a lie, a giant conspiracy, even when the
science, e.g. examining strata can be verified by a child, and when
it clearly works.
- Claim that the science works, but that the god Jehovah created
earth to simulate being
4.54 billion years old and the universe
even though they have no evidence of this and even though it takes
quite some cheek to claim the god Jehovah cheated and lied like this,
going to incredible effort, for no apparent reason to deceive us. If
it is a deception, it is so good, clearly that is what Jehovah wants
us to believe. How dare we believe otherwise? After all it is more
certain that Jehovah created the
universe than that humans did not counterfeit or tinker with the
- Refuse to think about the inconsistency.
- Consider the possibility, that the bible, written by anonymous
people completely ignorant of science, might have got it wrong as did
all other primitive peoples speculating at the time. They were a bit
fuzzy about the distinction between speculation, myth and absolute
will maintain a local copy of the entire mindprod.com
website on your hard disk for superfast
access and access when the mindprod.com
A company called
Beyond Meat has come up with an artificial chicken that can fool most people.
Presumably, it will cost less than real chicken, does not require cruelty to any
animals and has a smaller environmental footprint. We might transition gradually into
using such products and meat products padded with artificial meats, simply because they
are cheaper. I foresee the day when only people like Ted Nugent will eat actual meat at
great expense. It will seem gross, like drinking blood.
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:67)
Lifetime Healthcare Budget
You will spend most of your lifetime budget of health care in your last year of
life. The care in that year will be the most expensive and the least effective. As we
invent ever more sophisticated and expensive ways to keep a moribund patients alive
just a little longer, geriatric care absorbs more and more of the total health budget,
depriving younger people of quality care they might otherwise get. Here are some ideas
to reduce the costs of geriatric care without harming the elderly:
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:67)
- Don’t push (possibly or even suggest) painful/expensive procedures on the
elderly unless they will provide significantly improved quality of life or
- Allow physician-assisted suicide as a routine option for those in the last year
of life, neither pushed nor discouraged.
- Allow a do-not-resuscitate option on hospital admittal forms so it can be
requested without fuss.
- Provide education to the public to discourage them from demanding treatments
(such as continued life support for a brain dead patient) that have no hope.
Please feel free to use any of the quotations or public service ads
on the mindprod.com site on your own
website, blog or social media page.